ASIC (from English application-specific integrated, that is, assembled for a specific application) is a specially created device that is intended only for cryptocurrency mining. Although there are different models, most often this device is a block with a chip equipped with several processors, a cooling system and a power supply. Thanks to this narrow specialization, ASIC miners have high production efficiency for digital coins.
Characteristics ASIC Miners.
- Hashrate. First of all, you should pay attention to this indicator of the ASIC miner, because the profitability of mining will largely depend on this;
- Consumption of electricity. Electricity consumption is an important component of the profitability of cryptocurrency mining, since cryptocurrency mining requires a lot of energy for computing and cooling. This parameter should always be considered when choosing an ASIC, as well as the capabilities of the network to which you intend to connect it;
- The cost of the ASIC miner relative to its performance - this indicator will have a direct impact on the profitability of mining using the miner of a specific model.
As already mentioned at the very beginning, ASIC is a specialized device, namely an integrated circuit, for solving a specific function. Such boards are used only for highly specialized tasks, that is, we can say that they are “sharpened” for them and therefore perform them with the greatest efficiency. In the case of cryptocurrency mining, this means that their mining is faster and at the lowest cost, and therefore more profitable.
Such integrated circuits are naturally applied to me only in mining, in many specialized devices that have long been used in everyday life, including mobile phones. Now they are most often motherboards with 32-bit processors.
Advantages of ASIC Miners:
- ASIC can usually be executed in order to generate crypto coins using one or more algorithms;
- Due to the narrow specialization, ASIC has a high hashrate, on which the calculation speed depends, which means encryption and mining in general;
- The ratio of computing power to electric energy consumption is higher, which, as you already know, directly affects profitability and payback;
- The layout of the device greatly simplifies its installation and connection.
Disadvantages ASIC Miners:
- ASIC-miner cannot be reflashed for another algorithm that it is not designed for by the manufacturer, so if something changes, then you cannot use the same device to mine cryptocurrencies working on other algorithms;
- The relatively rapid obsolescence of fairly expensive equipment, which will be very difficult to sell after cryptocurrency mining increases markedly. In this regard, conventional graphics cards that are slightly less effective in mining will almost always find their customers among gamers, due to their universality;
- Sufficiently powerful devices usually need additional supply with a power supply;
- Side effects associated with high performance, such as increased heat and noise. Similar disadvantages can be found in powerful servers in data centers;
- Due to the specialization of ASIC miners, their distribution is not so wide and, accordingly, servicing will be more problematic than, for example, in the case of farms built from video cards.